This hearty shepherds pie recipe is made with ground beef, mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, diced tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
Also known as cottage pie or poor man’s pie, this is a quick and easy meat and potato recipe that can be prepared in about 30 minutes or less. There is something satisfying about a one dish meal such as this one. You have your beef, potatoes, and vegetables all together in one place for a quick and easy meal.
This may not be the traditional version of the recipe, but it is something that you can make quickly with items you usually have in your pantry. It is also a great way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes or mixed vegetables. You can also use cooked shredded beef instead of hamburger in the recipe. There is actually no crust for this pie. Instead the beef and vegetable mixture form its own type of base.
This is basically a dinner casserole of sorts because you can make this ahead earlier in the day and then just re-heat it before you are ready to eat. It also freezes well. Serve this for an easy one dish dinner on those nights you have a lot of activities going on. Each person can reheat a piece when they are ready to sit down to eat.
Serve it with a side dish of fruit or cottage cheese.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 16 oz. can mixed vegetables, drained
- 4 med. potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 c. cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan or skillet, brown ground beef. Drain any excess fat from the ground beef and allow to cool slightly.
- In a 1-1/2 to 2 quart round or square glass casserole dish, combine the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, mixed vegetables and ground beef mixture.
- Mix the parsley into the mashed potatoes and spread on top of the beef and vegetable mixture.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until the cheese melts, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Family Friendly Dinner Ideas
Great Date Night Dinner Ideas