Do you miss Grandma’s home style cooking? Make this southern fried chicken recipe for a taste of the past. Includes photos and instructions.
One of the things I miss most about my Grandma was her home cooking. Perhaps you can relate. When she passed I inherited her recipe collection and this easy fried chicken was one of her prized recipes. She gave the recipe to only a few people along the years and I feel fortunate to have the original recipe card (see below).
Just The Basics Please…
Many fried chicken recipes have a complicated coating with many ingredients, but I like this one because it uses basic pantry items like flour, milk, salt, and pepper. You can make a delicious crispy fried chicken in your deep walled frying pan or electric skillet and skip the deep-fryer.
The original recipe called for a whole chicken cut up into frying sized pieces. I have found buying packages of thighs and legs more convenient plus they are more uniform in size, which helps them fry evenly. Also, our family seems to prefer dark meat so I tend to buy those cuts more often.
I have included step by step photos below. I have a larger electric skillet (about 12″ x 16″) I use and can fit about 13 pieces of legs and thighs in for frying.
How To Make Grandma’s Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Place chicken pieces in a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish. Pour the liquid mixture (recipe below) over the chicken pieces and turn to coat evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
When ready place the chicken on the counter and place a cup or two of flour in a flat pan or baking sheet.
Roll each of the pieces in flour.
Place about 1 inch of vegetable oil in the electric skillet. Preheat the oil to 350 degrees. Place each of the chicken pieces into the skillet. Metal tongs work well for this and also for turning the chicken pieces.
Fry in 350 degree vegetable oil for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Turn pieces over 3-4 times during frying to ensure even cooking.
Place on paper towels to allow any excess oil to drain.
Southern fried chicken ready to serve!
Here is the original recipe:
Southern Fried Chicken
- 1 whole chicken cut up into frying pieces OR 8-12 pieces legs and thighs
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- ½ Tablespoon Pepper
- Flour around two cups or so
- 1 bottle vegetable oil
- Cut the chicken pieces apart if necessary.
- Place the chicken pieces in a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the chicken pieces. Turn the pieces to coat evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. At one hour turn the pieces.
- When ready, pour one inch of vegetable oil into a large electric skillet (12" by 16") or deep walled frying pan. If using a frying pan you may need to fry in two batches.
- Preheat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Using tongs, place each of the chicken pieces into the electric skillet. Begin cooking and turn the pieces over every 5-7 minutes or so.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and crispy.
- Check for doneness by inserting a knife in one of the pieces and making sure the juice runs clear.
- When done, place the fried chicken pieces on a plate with a few layers of paper towel to drain.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and you are ready to eat!