An easy homemade chili recipe with ground beef, peppers, and kidney beans and topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese. Serve for a weekend meal with buttermilk cornbread.
Everyone seems to have a favorite homemade chili recipe and this is ours. This is a thick and hearty main dish that does not use noodles.
Although this recipe is spicy by most people’s standards, you can tame it down by using less of the peppers and spices.
*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
When the weather turns cooler nothing tastes as good as a bowl of homemade chili topped with a spoonful of sour cream and extra shredded cheddar cheese.
Serve this chili with homemade buttermilk corn bread for a filling fall or winter meal. This cornbread is special because it won’t fall apart!
- 2 pounds ground hamburger (at least 80-20%)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 Cayenne peppers, chopped
- ½ Red or Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Habanero pepper, chopped
- 1-28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1-28 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2-6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 3-15 ounce cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- Assemble all ingredients on your kitchen counter.
- Chop the onions, garlic, and all fresh peppers. Place in separate bowls until ready to use.
- In a large soup or stock pot brown the hamburger.
- Add in the onions, garlic, and all fresh peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are tender.
- Stir in all tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Stir in the kidney beans.
- Stir in the chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then turn back the heat to low and simmer for 60 minutes.
Serve this chili with homemade buttermilk cornbread.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX
Are you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works.
Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points.
No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app.
Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX
You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List