Family Style Homemade Pizza
A fun family style homemade pizza recipe to tailor to your exact tastes. Serve this for a weekend meal comfort food and get your children involved adding the toppings. It is a fun treat for sleepovers too!
These days it seems easier to pick up the phone and have a pizza delivered to your home. While it may be true, there is something special about making your own pan style pizza at home. I think cooking together is one of those activities that bonds a family.
One For The Adults, One For The Children
The way we make these pizzas is to make two of them; one for the adults and one for the children. The adult pizza usually is more of a supreme or deluxe pizza and the children’s pizza is a bit more simple with sausage and pepperoni.
One of the best things is being able to add your favorite toppings and make the pizza exactly as you wish. This is where you can have your children help too. Have them layer some of the toppings on their pizza so they have a hand in the kitchen.
How To Make Family Style Homemade Pizza
For this recipe I took multiple photos so you can see how everything comes together. All ingredients, instructions, and measurements are listed below within the actual recipe. I have added some additional helps and tips near each photo for different stages of building the pizza.
I chose to use a simple ready to go box pizza dough mix, as it helps cut down on the preparation time. After you have mixed, rested, and kneaded the dough you are ready to press it into your greased baking pan. It always amazes me that the small ball of dough will actually stretch to fit into my baking sheet, yet it always makes its way to the edges. I push the dough slightly up around the edges of the pan about 1/4″ in order to form a crust.
Once both pans are ready, you pre-bake the crust for about 3 minutes in the oven. This sets the crust so you can add the pizza sauce and toppings.
In order to make two pizzas, I used half of a 15 ounce can of Contadina pizza sauce on each one and spread it evenly with a large spoon.
I then started by layering the sausage first and then the pepperoni. On ours I added a layer of thinly sliced mushrooms and chopped green peppers.
Add about two cups mozzarella cheese or more to each pizza or until the amount of cheese suits your tastes.
Here is our version with pepperoni, sausage, green peppers, and mushrooms.
Here is our son’s version with sausage and pepperoni.
Family Style Homemade Pizza Recipe
- 2 (6.5 oz.) Boxes Jiffy Pizza Crust Mix
- 1 (15 oz.) can Contadina pizza sauce
- 1 pound sweet Italian bulk sausage
- 1 package Hormel Pepperoni (approx. 50 slices)
- ½ diced green pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cups Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a frying pan, brown the Italian sausage until crisp. Drain excess fat and cool to room temperature.
- Dice ½ of the green pepper and place in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and place in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- In two separate medium sized bowls, prepare each package of pizza crust mix separately according to package directions.
- Allow dough to stand 5 minutes after you have added the warm water to the mix.
- On a floured board, knead dough until soft and pliable.
- Spray two 10" x 15" non-stick baking sheets with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Press each dough ball evenly onto the baking sheet to the edges. Press just a bit (1/4") of dough up along the edges to form a side crust.
- Pre-bake both pans side by side for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and if there are any air bubbles in the crust, take a fork and poke a few holes in the crust to release the air.
- Spoon ½ can of pizza sauce on each pizza.
- Layer ½ Italian Sausage evenly on each pizza.
- Layer the pepperoni evenly on each pizza.
- On the one pizza add the diced green pepper and sliced mushrooms.
- Top each pizza with 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes.
- (For the pepperoni and sausage pizza 18 minutes was sufficient. Roughly figure an additional minute per topping. We baked the pizza with pepperoni, sausage, green pepper, and mushroom for 20 minutes.)
- To cut the pizza, take a large flat rubber spatula and slide it underneath the pizza to make sure it is loosened. Slide the pizza onto a cutting board and cut with a pizza cutter.
- Cut each pizza evenly into 8 or more pieces. Place each slice back into the pan to serve.
You can also use 12" or 14" round pizza pans for this recipe, but you may need to decrease the amounts of the toppings.
Family Friendly Dinner Ideas
Great Date Night Dinner Ideas