An easy taco casserole made with ground beef, black beans, salsa, and tortilla chips. Serve this Mexican-style casserole for a one dish weeknight dinner.
After making this, I think I have a new favorite easy dinner recipe! Where have you been all my life? This was a delicious satisfying one-dish meal that the entire family loved, even my 9 year old! It is also high in protein too.
I love the combination of all the Mexican flavors in this recipe. Cooking everything in a skillet before hand allows the flavors to combine before baking. It is also quick and easy to put together, with only about 20 minutes prep time, so in under an hour you can be sitting down eating dinner.
Just a word of warning…this one has some spice to it because of the taco seasoning. Keep in mind who your guests are and if they like spicier food. If you need to tone it down, use mild salsa and decrease the amount of pepper flakes.
To spice up this taco casserole; add some pickled jalapeno peppers to the dish before you add the shredded cheese. We put a nice spoonful of my spicy homemade salsa on top.You can also top the casserole with diced tomato and shredded lettuce after it is done baking. It will look a bit more festive from the added colors.
Keep the side dishes simple if you are going to serve something on the side. A side dish of fruit is about all you will need for a complete meal. This is one recipe that is complete on its own and if you choose to forego a side dish, you will still have a great dinner. Perhaps a little something sweet at the end would be a nice finish, but it is not necessary.
Personalized and Vintage Casserole Dishes
Hey! Have you been looking for a new casserole dish or want to find one for a wedding or housewarming gift? Check out these personalized casserole dishes and vintage casserole dishes on Etsy. Really cool! On Etsy you can find so much more than just crafts and handmade items. Check it out.
Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground hamburger (thawed)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package taco seasoning (1.25 ounce)
- ½ cup water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ large bag corn tortilla chips (I use Tostitos Scoops)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add the pepper flakes, onion, and garlic and sautee until the onion is softened.
- Add the ground beef, taco seasoning, and water to the skillet. Break up the meat with a spatula and cook until the meat is browned.
- Drain and rinse the black beans in a strainer. Add the beans and salsa to the mixture. Cook until everything thickens.
- Line the bottom of a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with tortilla chips. Slightly crush them so there is a flat layer of chips covering the bottom of the dish and the pieces are bite size.
- Spoon the meat mixture over the tortilla chips. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cheese melts.
- Serve with sour cream, additional salsa on top, and chips on the side.
Family Friendly Dinner Ideas
Great Date Night Dinner Ideas