An easy recipe for creamy Au Gratin potatoes with ham, peas, and shredded cheese. This is an easy weeknight potato recipe which can be served as a main dish or a side dish.
If you are in a hurry and in need of a fairly simple recipe these scalloped potatoes will satisfy the heartiest appetites. These potatoes are a nice addition to your weeknight recipe collection.
The term ‘Au Gratin’ means a dish that is covered in breadcrumbs or grated cheese and browned in the oven or broiler. This recipe uses cheese and is browned in the oven.
If served as a main dish this recipe will serve about 4 people. Similarly, if served as a side dish this recipe will serve about 6 people.
Here, the addition of the peas and green pepper add a nice color to the dish.
Scroll down to view and print out the recipe.
I took some photos along the way of the before and after as I was preparing this dish. This is what it looks like before adding the cheese:
And, of course there is plenty of cheese to go around.
After it is just out of the oven:
Dinner is served!
For the ham I used Farmland brand thick sliced ham steaks.
Serve with fish, beef, or ham for an easy weeknight dinner.
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham And Peas Recipe
- 1 4.7 ounce box Betty Crocker Au Gratin potatoes
- Powered Sauce Packet from box of Au Gratin potatoes
- 2 cups boiling water
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced into small ½" cubes (about 8-12 ounces)
- 1 cup canned or frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix potatoes with the 2 cups of boiling water and the butter in a 2-1/2 quart or 3 quart oven safe glass casserole dish. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Mix in the contents of the powered sauce packet and ½ cup milk.
- Drain peas if canned. Partially thaw peas if frozen and drain any excess liquid.
- Then mix the ham, peas, onion, and green pepper in with the potatoes.
- After that, sprinkle cheddar cheese over top and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes or longer before serving so sauce can thicken a bit.
More Main Dish Potato Recipes
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
Southern Style Cheesy Potatoes
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie Recipe
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
Browned Butter Potatoes
Triple Cheese Potato Casserole
Fried Potatoes Recipe with Ham and Green Onions
Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole