These creamy homemade scalloped potatoes are made with Yukon Gold potatoes, heavy cream, butter, and milk. Serve these potatoes with your favorite hamburger, steak or other main dish.
Homemade scalloped potatoes taste so much better than making them from a box. They are easier than you would expect to make and only take about 20 minutes prep time.
If you have a food processor, slicing the potatoes can be done in minutes. Otherwise make sure you have a good heavy sharp knife to manually slice the potatoes.
*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
You can use just about any type of potatoes in this recipe, but I personally prefer Yukon Gold potatoes. They have a great buttery flavor and a rich and creamy texture. They might be called something different in your area, but look for bags that talk about a buttery tasting potato.
One of the keys to good homemade scalloped potatoes is using heavy cream in the sauce. This results in a smooth and creamy texture and a fresh dairy taste. Crushed crackers sprinkled on the top give just a slight crunch and a slightly different flavor to these scalloped potatoes.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX
Are you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works.
Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points.
No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app.
Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX
You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Serve them with ham, country fried steak, or any other main dish beef, chicken, or poultry for an evening meal. You could also consider them for a hearty breakfast or part of a brunch menu.
Homemade Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (about 7-8 medium)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons crushed saltine crackers
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Peel the skins with a vegetable peeler.
- Thinly slice the potatoes and place half of them in a single layer in a 7" x 11" or larger glass baking dish.
- Dot the potatoes evenly with small bits of butter. Season the first layer with salt and pepper.
- Place a second layer of the remaining potatoes evenly over baking dish.
- Again dot the potatoes evenly with butter and season with more salt and pepper.
- Pour 1 cup heavy cream over the potatoes.
- Pour enough milk into the dish until you just begin to see it. Do not completely cover the potatoes.
- Lightly sprinkle with crushed saltine crackers on the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes, until potatoes are tender and the milk and cream has thickened.
To save time and get even slices, slice the potatoes in your food processor.
More Main Dish Potato Recipes
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Southern Style Cheesy Potatoes
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie Recipe
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Browned Butter Potatoes
Triple Cheese Potato Casserole
Fried Potatoes Recipe with Ham and Green Onions
Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole with Ham and Peas