Spaghetti Pasta Salad
A spaghetti pasta salad made with whole wheat spaghetti, red onion, peppers, cheese and topped with a lemon poppy seed dressing. Serve this cold spaghetti salad for a summer picnic or as a side dish for brunch or a weeknight dinner.
This is an interesting salad full of color and flavor. The red onion and pepper give it a bite, while the lemon poppy seed dressing cools down the flavors. The dressing has a unique and distinctive flavor which pairs nicely with all the ingredients.
I used whole wheat angel hair pasta in this recipe and I thought it added to the overall flavor of the salad. You can also use other plain or flavored pastas instead of whole wheat, but I will say, the whole wheat pasta is pretty tasty.
Although the recipe calls for green and red bell pepper, you can also add in or exchange yellow or orange peppers for added color or flavor.
Since this recipe serves 12-15 people, take it along to a summer picnic or bring it for an office party. If you are just serving it for dinner or as a side dish for the family, you may want to cut the recipe in half.
This is a nice and light cold summer salad which I thought was exceptionally tasty. It is nice to try a new salad recipe once in a while as that is how you find new favorites.
Spaghetti Pasta Salad With Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 package (12-16 ounces) Angel Hair Whole Wheat Pasta
- ½ red or purple onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) prepared Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, adding a bit of salt to the boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water and place in a large mixing bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the onion thin and into small pieces. Slice peppers into thin strips and then into thirds. Cut the grape tomatoes into halves.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing. Mix well.
- Toss the dressing with the spaghetti and vegetables.
- Mix in 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.
More Cold Salad Recipes