A creamy cucumber salad made from fresh sliced cucumbers and topped with a sour cream and mayonnaise dressing. A hint of lemon juice and dill complement the flavors of the cucumbers.
This is one of my favorite summer salads as it has a crisp crunch from the fresh sliced cucumbers and a tangy dressing. It makes a light and refreshing side dish for a picnic or grilled food. These fresh cucumber slices are also a good choice to for a company potluck dinner. You can use this as a substitute for potato salad or other heavier pasta salads.
I remember my grandma and my mom making this salad when the heat of the summer was upon us. To me, this salad just tastes like summer with fresh cucumbers straight from the garden. I also remember eating what seemed like a huge portion of this salad, yet never feeling stuffed. I think that is the mark of a great side dish.
If you have Vidalia onions available, I would recommend them for this recipe. They are a mild, mellow onion so the flavor of the cucumbers still comes through. Fresh dill is best, but dried dill will work too.
Make this creamy cucumber salad recipe at least two to three hours ahead so the flavors have enough time to develop properly. It is best if you make it ahead the day before you will be serving it. You can also easily double this recipe.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 medium to large cucumbers
- 1 small Vidalia onion or mild sweet onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt or table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Wash cucumbers and peel the outside skins. Cut into slices that are 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the onion if half and slice into thin slices that can be easily eaten. Leaving the slices as rings is okay, but is harder and a little messier to eat.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper and dill until smooth and well mixed.
- Pour over the cucumbers and toss until completely coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2-3 hours before serving. This will taste better if you allow the salad to keep overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
More Cold Salad Recipes
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Spaghetti Pasta Salad
Taco Salad For A Crowd
Fresh Summer Corn Salad
Cucumber Salad Recipe
Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
Chicken Salad Recipe
Fresh Broccoli Salad Recipe
Copper Penny Carrot Salad
Four Bean Salad Recipe
Marinated Tomato Recipe
Classic Pesto Pasta Salad
Homemade Freezer Cole Slaw Recipe