Classic Pesto Pasta Salad
A classic pesto pasta salad made with Rotini pasta, basil pesto, green olives, pine nuts, cherry tomatoes, peas, and fresh basil. Serve as a side dish or bring to a picnic.
What do you bring to the family picnic or work potluck when you just want something different? Try this flavorful pasta salad! I have brought this salad to many gatherings and it is always a hit. It tastes great on its own and pairs well with grilled favorites like chicken, bratwurst, and hamburgers.
This is a simple flavorful combination of ingredients which allows the basil pesto flavor to stand out.
Like this vintage serving bowl? Find more vintage serving bowls on eBay.
Classic Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1-12 ounce box uncooked tri-color Rotini Pasta
- 8 ounces prepared basil pesto
- ¼ cup chopped green olives with pimento
- 1-2.25 ounce package pine nuts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- Following the box directions, cook the pasta according to package directions. I add a teaspoon of salt to the water along with a bit of olive oil once the water has reached a rolling boil but before you add in the pasta. I find it helps to keep the pasta from sticking. Cook until al dente (cooked but still firm.)
- Drain pasta with cold water and place in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the prepared basil pesto, chopped green olives, pine nuts, thawed peas, cherry tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and chill until ready to eat. This also tastes good at room temperature.