A blueberry coffee cake recipe made with butter, sugar, eggs, and milk, blueberry pie filling, and a butter crumb topping. Serve for breakfast or brunch.
Long past it seems are the days where you would get invited over to a neighbor’s house for coffee and cake in the afternoon to share the local happenings. These days most people just end up at their local Starbucks for their coffee and sweets. The times may have changed, but I urge you to resurrect this recipe because it is just so good!
Delicious Butter Crumb Topping
The streusel butter crumb topping melts in your mouth and compliments the sweetened blueberries. The cake itself is firmer and has a slight spring to it to support the weight of the blueberry filling.
If you think this makes too much cake for you, bring the rest of it to work and place it in the break room next to the coffee pot. It will disappear quick. In fact, your co-workers might ask you to make another one for the next day.
Serve this blueberry coffee cake warm from the oven. You can scoop out servings with a spoon or wait until it has cooled and cut into squares. The best part is that by making it yourself, you get to enjoy more than one piece.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
You can serve this for dessert, a morning coffee break, breakfast or brunch.
Blueberry Coffee Cake With Butter Crumb Topping
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1- 21 oz. can blueberry pie filling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 9" square glass or ceramic baking dish or metal pan.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. A fork works well for this.
- To the flour mixture, add 1/2 cup melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla.
- With a spoon, beat until well mixed and then pour the batter evenly into your greased and floured pan.
- In a separate small bowl, using a fork, combine the ingredients for the streusel topping; flour, sugar and melted butter. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of crumb mixture evenly over the top of batter in the pan.
- Stir lemon extract into the can of blueberry pie filling with a spoon or narrow spatula. Spread the pie filling over the top of the crumb mixture in the pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until top of coffee cake is golden brown.