This buttery vanilla crumb coffee cake is made with eggs, milk, butter, and sugar and has a sugar crumb crust. Serve for breakfast or brunch.
This is just a delicious coffee cake recipe that is wonderful to eat on its own or served with sweetened fresh fruit on top. The crumb topping complements the moist cake.
My grandmother used to make this recipe and it still brings back wonderful memories each time I make this coffee cake.
The heavy aroma of vanilla smells great in the kitchen when it is baking and there is something hard to resist about the sugar crumb topping.
I enjoy this recipe as the flavor is wonderful and makes you want another piece. It tastes especially good served warm. Serve this coffee cake with your favorite steaming cup of flavored coffee or tea for breakfast or brunch.
Because this uses basic ingredients, it is an easy recipe to make and takes about 15 minutes preparation and about 1 hour to bake.
The recipe below uses an 8″ x 8″ square glass baking dish, which is plenty for brunch for most families. If you are having a lot of guests or you have a large family, you may need to double the recipe and use a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish, as this sweet coffee cake will be gone in no time!
You can also use this for a dessert cake too. Place a piece of warm cake on a plate, add a scoop of ice cream on the side, and then drizzle caramel or chocolate syrup on top. Yumm! Sweetened fresh fruit tastes good too, especially if it is in season.
Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and butter as for a pie crust with a pastry blender or fork. Save 1 cup of the crumbs for topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add the vanilla, eggs, and milk and mix well.
- Pour batter into an 8" x 8" square (greased and floured) baking pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top of the batter.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
More Coffee Cake Recipes