An easy old-fashioned cinnamon sugar coffee cake made with fresh buttermilk, eggs, and butter and sprinkled with a cinnamon sugar topping. Serve this cake for breakfast or brunch with a spoonful of caramel sauce on the side.
This is a quick and easy recipe for brunch or breakfast with only about 15 minutes prep time and 30 minutes baking time. The cake turns out moist and soft because of the buttermilk and the cinnamon sugar topping gets slightly crunchy when baked in the oven.
Who will turn down a bit of caramel sauce? Not too many! Serve with a spoon of vanilla sauce or caramel sauce on the side and a cup of good rich coffee for a satisfying indulgence. If you can find a jar of vanilla sauce that would be equally as tasty as the caramel sauce. You can also serve this as an easy dessert.
Cinnamon Sugar Coffee Cake Recipe
Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Coffee Cake
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Break an egg and beat slightly. Beat into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Slowly add in 1 cup of fresh buttermilk and mix well with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a fine sieve and sift all into the mixing bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until well combined. The batter will be thick.
- Butter an 8" x 8" square baking dish (you can also use a 7" x 11" baking dish) well and spread the batter evenly. In a small dish, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle liberally on top of the batter.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Peach Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Easy Coffeecake Recipe with Brown Sugar Cinnamon and Pecans
Buttery Vanilla Crumb Coffee Cake