Cranberry orange bread is made with dried sweetened cranberries, orange juice, egg, and walnuts. This quick bread is a great combination of sweet and tart. Serve it for breakfast, brunch, an afternoon snack, or with tea.
This is a recipe from my mom’s recipe collection and has been around for many years. One of the things I like the best is the big dark red pieces of cranberry make a visually interesting bread that looks good on the table.
Orange juice in the batter makes it moist and also adds just a bit of tanginess to complement the sweetness of the bread. I would say because of the orange juice this is much less sweet tasting than many other recipes I have tried.
The loaf bakes well and would make a nice gift for a new neighbor. This would also be a nice choice to make for a community bake sale or fund raiser.
The chopped walnuts are optional, but do add to the flavoring of the bread. Chop them extra fine if you want to try to disguise the walnuts and still retain the flavor.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Serve this with coffee, tea, or champagne and orange juice (a mimosa) for a great way to have a relaxing breakfast or brunch this weekend.
Cranberry Orange Bread
Cranberry Orange Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries ( I used Ocean Spray Craisins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and sift together so everything is evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, combine grated orange rind, orange juice, water, egg, and oil. Mix well.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just to combine.
- Stir in nuts and cranberries.
- Place in greased baking pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Set timer initially for 50 minutes and add baking time as necessary.
- **To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf 5 minutes before baking time is over. When the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
- You can also visually check if the bread is done by looking for a nice medium brown color and also checking that the bread has pulled away from the edges of the baking pan.