This fresh and flavorful old-fashioned rhubarb bread is a quick bread recipe with a special brown sugar topping. It is made with fresh cut rhubarb, brown sugar, egg, and chopped nuts.
Nothing says spring more than this fresh and flavorful rhubarb bread. It can be served for breakfast, brunch, or as a dessert bread.
What an innovative and delicious way to use up the rhubarb from your garden or your neighbor when it is in season.
This quick bread is not too tart, as the brown sugar in the recipe balances nicely with the fresh rhubarb. It is also very moist. You won’t be disappointed with this recipe!
Serve this bread warm or cold with a fantastic cream cheese spread or fresh butter.
Rhubarb Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 Cups brown sugar
- ⅔ Cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 Cups finely chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons hot orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" x 5" x 3" metal baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, vegetable oil, beaten egg, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet mixture to your flour mixture. Mix together just until moistened.
- Stir in the finely chopped rhubarb.
- Stir in the finely chopped nuts.
- Pour into greased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- To make the topping, combine the hot orange juice and brown sugar until dissolved.
- Pour over hot bread once it has been removed from the oven.
- When juice is well absorbed, remove bread from pan. Cool on a wire or wooden rack and wrap for storage.