A homemade rhubarb sauce made with fresh rhubarb from your garden. Serve this tangy sauce over ice cream, desserts, pancakes, or waffles.
There is something about fresh rhubarb that reminds me of home and of my high school days. It just seems like the rhubarb was ready to pick when it really started to feel like summer, so I always associate cooking rhubarb with the beginning of summer vacation from school.
It is interesting to note that rhubarb is actually a vegetable, but in 1947 a New York court classified it as a fruit, since it is usually used as such. This classification allowed for lower tariffs than if it were classified as a vegetable. (Source: Wikipedia)
Regardless if you consider rhubarb a fruit or a vegetable, it is always a treat at our house when the rhubarb is in season.
Of course, sometimes you can find yourself with a whole lot more rhubarb than you bargained for, in which case, this simple and easy rhubarb recipe is great way to use up rhubarb from your garden.
This is a basic sauce recipe for rhubarb that you can also cook with cherries or strawberries.
It is great as a topping for bread pudding, yogurt, toast, angel food cake, pound cake, or lemon cake. Try it over vanilla ice cream too! Cool creamy ice cream tastes wonderful with this slightly tart, slightly sweet sauce. It is especially nice for those who don’t care for chocolate or caramel toppings.
Additionally, give this sauce a try over pancakes, French toast, or waffles. If you are not one for the traditional pancake toppings, this could be a nice alternative.
Rhubarb Sauce For Ice Cream and Desserts
- 1 pound of garden fresh rhubarb*
- ¾ cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash the rhubarb stems well to remove any dirt and debris. Cut off all leaves. Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Cut the rhubarb stalks into ½ to 1 inch pieces and place in a medium sauce pan. Add sugar.
- Cook over low to medium heat until the rhubarb is soft and it turns to a sauce.
- When sauce is cooked add in the vanilla an cinnamon and stir together.
- Serve warm or chilled over your favorite dessert or breakfast item.