A smooth homemade vanilla sauce recipe that uses egg whites folded into the sauce. Pour this silky smooth sauce over bread pudding, pound cakes, and other desserts.
Vanilla sauce is a versatile dessert topping that can be used over just about any type of dessert. Try this over gingerbread, cinnamon sugar coffee cake, puddings, or a bowl of fresh blueberries or strawberries. Drizzle over pies, cakes, fruit, or quick breads for a great flavor combination. You won’t want to share!
You add whipped egg white in right before serving to give this creamy sauce a light body.
Serve your favorite dessert treats in these vintage dessert dishes from eBay.
Homemade Vanilla Sauce Recipe
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk
- ½ Tablespoon butter
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white
- Combine the sugar, flour, egg yolk, and the 2 Tablespoons of milk in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining ¾ cup of milk in a saucepan until bubbles appear around the edge. Gradually stir in the egg yolk mixture, and then return to the saucepan.
- Cook, stirring over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking over low heat 2 or 3 minutes longer to take away the flour taste.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, then the vanilla. Cover and chill.
- When ready to serve, beat the egg white until stiff but moist peaks form. Fold into the chilled sauce.