Italian Sausage Brunch Casserole with Rice Krispies
A make-ahead Italian Sausage brunch casserole made with Italian sausage, onion, rice, Rice Krispies, cheese and eggs. This hearty breakfast casserole contains no bread. Serve for breakfast or brunch with fresh fruit or sliced tomatoes.
So, for those of you that shy away from breakfast casseroles because you dislike all of the mushy bread in them; try this one. This is one of my favorite recipes because there is no bread in it. Also, it seems to be less filling than some other casseroles I have made. I am not sure if there are any less calories; but it seems that you can eat a piece or two of this and feel full, but not completely stuffed.
A Breakfast Casserole With Cooked Rice AND Rice Krispies Cereal
The filling is made up of both cooked white rice and Rice Krispies cereal. The rice gives this casserole body and the cereal brings a nice toasted flavor that goes well with the Italian sausage.
I also realized that the main seasonings in this brunch casserole come from the onion, sausage, and Rice Krispies. So, if you have picky eaters that may shy away from strongly seasoned dishes, this one might be a winner.
This is a hearty make-ahead breakfast casserole recipe that is quick and easy to make for your family or guests. Just add a fruit salad and maybe some muffins and you can enjoy a relaxing morning.
**This Italian sausage brunch casserole can also be made the night before.
Personalized and Vintage Casserole Dishes
Hey! Have you been looking for a new casserole dish or want to find one for a wedding or housewarming gift? Check out these personalized casserole dishes and vintage casserole dishes on Etsy. Really cool! On Etsy you can find so much more than just crafts and handmade items. Check it out.
Italian Sausage Brunch Casserole
- 1 Pound ground Italian breakfast sausage
- ½ Medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 3 Cups cooked rice
- 4-1/2 Cups Rice Krispies (save ¾ cup for topping)
- 1 Pound shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 Eggs
- 2 (15-ounce) Cans cream of celery soup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Fry the Italian sausage and onions together in a frying pan. Cool and drain well.
- In a 9" x 13" glass baking dish, layer ½ of each; cooked rice, Rice Krispies (save out ¾ cup for topping), sausage, and shredded cheese.
- Repeat with a second layer of each.
- Beat the six eggs and two cans of soup together and pour evenly over the top.
- Top with remaining ¾ cup of Rice Krispies cereal.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
**The 30 minutes prep time does not include cooking the rice. I usually make the rice some time earlier in the day so it is ready to use. You can use Minute Rice in this recipe, but I prefer long-cooking rice.
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes