A breakfast casserole recipe made with Italian sausage, hash brown potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and French fried onions. Serve this dish for a hearty breakfast or brunch.
This is a hearty meat and potatoes dish for those who need more than just a cup of yogurt to get going in the morning. Serve this hash brown casserole with lighter fare such as fresh fruit, fruit juice, or a good cup of coffee.
French fried onions give a nice flavorful crunch on the top of the casserole along with a bit of saltiness to offset the cream of mushroom filling. The combination of the crunch top and the creamy potato center just works and makes this a tasty dish. I used a medium cheddar cheese in this recipe, but if you are after more flavor you could easily use a sharp cheddar cheese. Any sharp cheese mellows when baked and combined with other ingredients.
If you are looking for a no-fail crowd pleasing easy to make casserole, this one will bring rave reviews. Although it may not fit every diet out there, it certainly ranks as good comfort food and your breakfast and brunch guests will be full and happy.
“Just want you to know how much I love this recipe. I’ve been making it for several years, and everyone who has it loves it and asks for the recipe! Thanks for a great, easy brunch dish!” – Susan JL via FB
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
“love, love, love Tasty and Easy = Love” – Sandy B. via FB
Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 Pound Italian sausage
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 24 oz. Package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 10-3/4 oz. Can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 Cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 Medium yellow onion chopped fine
- 1 6 oz. Can French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a heavy skillet or frying pan, cook Italian sausage with salt until browned, stirring until finely crumbled.
- With a slotted spoon, drain excess fat and transfer beef to large bowl.
- Add thawed hash brown potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese and chopped onion; mix well.
- Spread into baking dish and bake 30 minutes.
- Top with French fried onions and bake 15 minutes more, or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.