An easy breakfast casserole made with Italian bread, ham, eggs, onion, and Monterey Jack cheese you can make ahead the night before. Serve for breakfast or brunch.
One of the things I like the best about this casserole is using Monterey Jack cheese. Adding this cheese instead of cheddar gives the casserole a completely different flavor. Monterey Jack cheese is a semi-firm cheese with a mild flavor and creamy texture. It is similar in flavor to Muenster cheese, but is firmer and grates better. If you want a bit of a kick in your breakfast casserole, consider Pepper Jack cheese, which is a variation of Monterey Jack.
Substituting shredded cheddar cheese in this recipe is fine if that is what you happen to have on hand. It will still turn out good.
This is a hearty recipe for an evening family dinner, too. Serve it up with a side dish of vegetables for dinner or fresh fruit for brunch.
Make this breakfast casserole ahead the night before as it requires only a bit of additional cooking – just cooking the onions. All the other ingredients are ready to assemble with minor preparation. Then, just bake in the morning for an easy, stress-free meal.
Easy Breakfast Casserole With Ham And Cheese
Breakfast Casserole with Ham and Cheese
- 1 Loaf Italian bread 1 pound loaf cut into 1" cubes
- 3 Cups fully cooked ham cut into 1/2" cubes
- 12 Ounces of Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 8 Large eggs
- 3-1/2 Cups milk
- 1/4 Cup prepared Dijon mustard
- Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cube the bread into 1" cubes and place into baking dish.
- Cube the ham into 1/2" cubes and add to the baking dish.
- Cube the cheese in 1/2" cubes and add to the baking dish.
- Lightly toss everything together with a fork.
- Chop the onion into small pieces. In a skillet, saute' the chopped onions in 2 Tablespoons butter until slightly translucent. Transfer the onions to a large mixing bowl.
- In that bowl with the onions, add the eggs, milk, and mustard. Whisk together well and pour evenly over the bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. You can also refrigerate this overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes. You may need to increase baking time by an additional 10 minutes or so if you kept it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Let the casserole sit 5-10 minutes to firm up and serve.