Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Swiss Cheese
A make-ahead breakfast casserole made with bacon, bread, Swiss cheese, onion, milk and eggs. Make this egg casserole the night before and serve it for breakfast or brunch.
Behold the breakfast casserole! A beautiful combination of a complete breakfast all in one easy to serve dish. What could be a better answer to feeding guests? I will say, this type of brunch dish has indeed come to the rescue when you stay up late talking with guests and you know you need something ready to go in the morning.
When you know you will be entertaining overnight guests, this is a nice recipe to make because it only takes about 30 minutes to prepare the night before, especially if the bacon and onions are cooked ahead of time. You can bake it in the oven the next morning while you take care of all the other preparations for serving breakfast.
Not all breakfast casseroles are created equal, however. Some have too much bread and turn out mushy and others have ingredients that could be better paired with other flavors. This recipe uses what I consider tried and true ingredients like bacon and Swiss cheese for a good flavor combination. That way you know you are off to a good start.
I will be talking about this more in another post, but the type of bread you choose for a breakfast casserole recipe has a lot of bearing on how the final product turns out. I prefer to use a firm bread like a French bread, in one of these casseroles as it can hold up better to being in the refrigerator overnight.
Also, day old bread actually works better than fresh bread for this type of recipe. Fresh bread tends to get soggy and absorb too much of the egg and milk mixture. When that happens, it can make your breakfast casserole rather mushy.
Crisp bacon and smooth Swiss cheese make a great combination for a family favorite, but feel free to experiment with other types of cheeses.
Personalized and Vintage Casserole Dishes
Hey! Have you been looking for a new casserole dish or want to find one for a wedding or housewarming gift? Check out these personalized casserole dishes and vintage casserole dishes on Etsy. Really cool! On Etsy you can find so much more than just crafts and handmade items. Check it out.
“I only have a little Swiss so I think I will use cheddar; recipe sounds good.” – Barbara H. via FB
Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 8 Slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 2 Onions, sliced thin
- 12 Slices white or French bread, quartered
- 1 Cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 Eggs
- 4 Cups milk
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons salt
- ¼ Teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry bacon in a frying pan until crisp. Remove, drain, and cool on a few layers of paper towel.
- Using the same pan, saute the onions in the remaining bacon grease until they are soft. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Put 6 slices bread, quartered in a greased 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Add half of crumbled bacon, onion and cheese; spread evenly.
- Repeat layer of bread, bacon, onion, and cheese.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a separate bowl; beat until mixed and pour over bread.
- Cover with foil or wrap and store in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, uncover the casserole and let stand at room temperature until oven is preheated.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.