This ham and cheese breakfast casserole is made with ham, cheese, broccoli, eggs, and bread. Make this breakfast casserole the night before and bake in the morning. Serve for breakfast or brunch with fresh fruit, coffee, or milk.
This is a wonderful breakfast casserole recipe to make ahead the night before especially if you have guests staying over at your house. Then all you have to do is put it in the oven in the morning and wait to receive the compliments!
The saltiness of the ham and onion helps flavor this dish plus you get crunch from the broccoli (especially if you use fresh broccoli). If you want a milder flavor, use mild cheddar cheese or if you want a stronger flavor, use medium or sharp cheddar cheese.
Any breakfast casserole is a great way to use up leftover bread heels or any bread that has gone slightly stale.
Enjoy your cup of coffee or tea and have some good conversation while you wait and smell the aromas of this casserole coming from the oven. This time let your oven do the work for you.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
This recipe is from my mom’s recipe box collection.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Broccoli
- 12 Slices day-old bread trimmed and cubed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained. (Or use 1 cup fresh broccoli cut into small pieces).
- 2 Cups cooked diced ham
- 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 Eggs lightly beaten
- 3 Cups milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion; finely chopped (Or 2 Teaspoons onion flakes (use more or less to taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover bottom of buttered 9"x13" glass baking dish with half of the bread cubes.
- Layer broccoli, ham and cheese over bread.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, onion, salt, nutmeg, and mustard and pour over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until it tests done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, or 55-60 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes and cut into squares. Makes 8-10 servings.