An easy hash brown breakfast casserole made with ground beef, hash browns, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and French fried onions. Serve this dish for a hearty breakfast or brunch. This is an easy make-ahead breakfast casserole. You can make this dish ahead the night before, refrigerate, and bake it in the morning.
This is a perfect meat and potatoes side dish for those who need more than just a cup of yogurt to get going in the morning. French fried onions give a nice crunch to the top of this breakfast casserole.
The BEST part is this breakfast casserole contains no bread!!! For everyone that dislikes breakfast casseroles made with day-old slimy milky bread, this one is for you! I consider this more of a main dish evening dinner casserole, but it is tasty for any meal.
By the way, if you dislike bread in these types of breakfast casseroles, try looking for recipes using potatoes, hash browns, or rice instead. Other ingredients to look for are Corn Flakes, or Rice Krispies cereal. You will like them much better.
Although this is a hearty dish all by itself, you can also serve this with toast and jelly, ham slices, sliced pork, or cooked sausage links.
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1- Pound lean ground beef thawed
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 24-oz. Package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 10-3/4 oz. Can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Cup Sour cream
- 2 Cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 2.8 oz. cans French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with vegetable oil.
- In a heavy skillet or frying pan, cook ground beef with salt until browned, stirring until finely crumbled.
- With a slotted spoon, drain any excess fat and transfer beef to large bowl.
- Add thawed potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese and chopped onion; mix well.
- Spread into a 9" x 13" baking dish. If you will be baking this recipe the next morning, stop at this point, cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes. Top with French fried onions and bake 15 minutes more, or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.