Easy cucumber sandwiches are made from fresh cucumbers and topped with a cream cheese spread on cocktail rye sandwich bread and sprinkled with dill. Serve this finger food for brunch, a tea party, or as an appetizer.
Dill weed and cucumber offer a garden fresh taste and make a nice colorful presentation for a brunch menu. They look great on a buffet table for a bridal shower or luncheon and can also be a hit at work when you need to bring a dish to pass. Also, these cucumber sandwiches are an easy to eat finger food because they are not too messy and travel well.
These are especially refreshing in the middle of winter when access to fresh vegetables can be limited.
This recipe makes enough for about 22 servings at 2 sandwiches per person. Two medium sized cucumbers sliced thin will match up fairly well to the number of slices in the cocktail rye bread and the amount of cream cheese spread.
You can use either Rubschlager light or dark rye bread, although I prefer the dark rye with these tea sandwiches. If you dislike rye bread, you may choose another flavor bread, just make sure it is sliced very thin-about 1/8″ wide and a fairly firm bread.
In addition, these tea party finger sandwiches can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. They go together quickly with about 20 minutes prep time.
Vintage Serving Platters for your easy Cucumber Sandwiches
Presentation is everything! Dress up your brunch menu with a beautiful vintage serving patter. Check out these picks for inspiration.
Want to Save Money on Groceries?
Free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime
You will notice as you browse that I have linked to various ingredients and products. If you buy a lot of cooking ingredients like I do, you will love the convenience of Amazon Prime. You get unlimited free two-day shipping on all your orders. You also can instantly watch thousands of movies and TV episodes, and borrow Kindle books from their vast lending library. I love Amazon Prime and heartily recommend it. Even if you only order a few times per year it is worth it for all of the extras you gain access to with your Prime account. Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial.
Easy Cucumber Sandwiches
- Soften the cream cheese in a medium sized bowl by letting it sit on the kitchen counter for 3-4 hours or by unwrapping it from its foil package and placing it in a bowl in the microwave until slightly softened.
- Start by adding 1-2 ounces of Italian dressing to the cream cheese and beat it together with a wooden spoon or electric mixer. If the cream cheese seems too stiff, add more Italian dressing to make a very soft spreadable consistency making sure there are no lumps.
- Wash the cucumbers and dry. Leave the skin on the cucumber. Take a dinner fork and make striations down the length of each of the cucumbers all the way around. This is not completely necessary, but does provide a nice look and makes it easier to bite into. Slice the cucumbers thin at about ⅛".
- To assemble the sandwiches, find a nice serving platter and spread the cream cheese mixture evenly onto each on of the cocktail rye squares. Place on the serving platter. Top with the slices of cucumber, 1 per slice of bread.
- Sprinkle each cucumber sandwich with dried dill weed. Refrigerate covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve. Can be made up to 24 hours ahead. These can be stacked on the platter with a layer of plastic wrap between each layer.
- Serving size: 2 sandwiches per person.