Chicken salad pickle boats are a unique appetizer recipe with flavors of dill pickle, green olives and your favorite chicken salad. These easy to make finger foods pack just enough saltiness and tartness to compliment the creamy chicken salad.
If you love green olives, this is a fun recipe to try. This recipe comes from a dear Aunt of my husband who has since passed away. I think of her every time I make them and how she used to like what some might consider rather unusual food combinations. I remember having these at her house when I was first dating my husband, some 25+ years ago, and I think she had been making them for many years before that.
At first glance, you might think the flavor combination would be a bit strong, but I encourage you to give them a try the next time you are looking for something besides the ordinary. I usually make the entire jar of pickles and these chicken salad pickle boats are gone in a day.
I do call for Hellman’s mayonnaise in this recipe and I know some of you prefer a different spread, like Miracle Whip, but I think Miracle Whip is too tangy for this particular recipe. You need the smooth creaminess of mayonnaise for the flavors to come together.
Serve these with any meal or pack them up and take them with you to a picnic or brunch.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Make them ahead the night before and you will be ready to share them with family and friends.
You might also like this unique chicken salad sandwich recipe made with chicken, crisp fall apples, dried cranberries, celery, pecans, green onions, and mayonnaise.
Chicken Salad Pickle Boats
Chicken Salad Pickle Boats
- 1 32 ounce jar Whole Kosher Dill Pickles (not spears)
- 1/3 cup Hellmann's real mayonnaise
- 1 12.5 once can chunk white chicken, drained well
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 5.75 ounce jar sliced green olives with pimento, drained well
- Drain the jar of whole pickles well.
- Carefully slice pickles in half lengthwise.
- Using a melon baller or teaspoon, scrape out an indentation in each pickle half, so you have room to add the chicken salad.
- Place on a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, add the well-drained chunk white chicken and fluff with a fork until the pieces are evenly separated.
- Add the mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Using a small teaspoon, spoon equal amounts of chicken salad into each one of the pickle boats.
- Drain the sliced green olives with pimento and place 3 slices of olive onto each one of the pickle boats.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve the next day.