These holiday spice cookies are made with cake flour, flavored with molasses, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and are then rolled in granulated sugar and baked. Serve them for a tea party or as part of a brunch menu.
These little cookies turn out perfectly round, delicately crispy on the outside, and wonderfully chewy on the inside. A small crack or two forms on the top and they are surrounded by sparkles of sugar.
Special Occasion Cookies
These delicate cookies are a good choice for serving at a tea party, bridal shower, wedding shower, or brunch as they are not messy or crumbly. They would also be a good choice to serve on a Christmas platter.
They are similar to ginger snaps, but are chewy and soft, not hard and crisp. They do take a bit longer to prepare, as you need to sift the flour multiple times, but the end result is definitely worth it. Our family has found a new favorite cookie recipe and I hope your will enjoy this recipe as well.
They also keep well for a few weeks if you store them in a covered tin with parchment paper. You can also freeze them and enjoy them a month or so later.
Please note: For this recipe you really DO have to sift the flour. Please make sure you do this step as it does make a difference in how the cookies turn out. Also, this recipe calls for cake flour and may require a special trip to the store, if it is missing from your pantry. Cake flour is different than all-purpose flour. Proper ingredients yield the best results!
Holiday Spice Cookies Recipe
- 3-1/4 cups sifted Cake Flour
- 3-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, well beaten
- ⅓ cup melted butter or other shortening
- 1cup molasses
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Sift the cake flour once, measure, add baking powder, salt, sugar, spices, and soda, and sift together 3 times. (Please do this step!) Place in large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg, butter, and molasses in a bowl. Add flour mixture and blend.
- Chill until firm enough to shape. Shape into small balls about ¾ inch in diameter. Roll in sugar or tiny colored candies.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet in a moderate oven (375 degrees) for 10 minutes, or until done.
More Christmas Cookie Ideas