Holiday Spice Cookies Recipe – Crispy On The Outside, Chewy On The Inside
These holiday spice cookies are made with cake flour, flavored with molasses, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and are then rolled in granulated sugar and baked. Serve them for a tea party or as part of a brunch menu.
These little cookies turn out perfectly round, delicately crispy on the outside, and wonderfully chewy on the inside. A small crack or two forms on the top and they are surrounded by sparkles of sugar.
Special Occasion Cookies
These delicate cookies are a good choice for serving at a tea party, bridal shower, wedding shower, or brunch as they are not messy or crumbly. They would also be a good choice to serve on a Christmas platter.
They are similar to ginger snaps, but are chewy and soft, not hard and crisp. They do take a bit longer to prepare, as you need to sift the flour multiple times, but the end result is definitely worth it. Our family has found a new favorite cookie recipe and I hope your will enjoy this recipe as well.
They also keep well for a few weeks if you store them in a covered tin with parchment paper. You can also freeze them and enjoy them a month or so later.
Please note: For this recipe you really DO have to sift the flour. Please make sure you do this step as it does make a difference in how the cookies turn out. Also, this recipe calls for cake flour and may require a special trip to the store, if it is missing from your pantry. Cake flour is different than all-purpose flour. Proper ingredients yield the best results!
Holiday Spice Cookies Recipe
- 3-1/4 cups sifted Cake Flour
- 3-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, well beaten
- ⅓ cup melted butter or other shortening
- 1cup molasses
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Sift the cake flour once, measure, add baking powder, salt, sugar, spices, and soda, and sift together 3 times. (Please do this step!) Place in large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg, butter, and molasses in a bowl. Add flour mixture and blend.
- Chill until firm enough to shape. Shape into small balls about ¾ inch in diameter. Roll in sugar or tiny colored candies.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet in a moderate oven (375 degrees) for 10 minutes, or until done.
More Christmas Cookie Ideas