Russian Teacake Cookies are an easy and fun Christmas cookie made with confectioners sugar and chopped pecans. Also known as snowball cookies, these powdered treats will melt in your mouth.
These are an annual favorite around our house at Christmas and it wouldn’t seem the same if we didn’t enjoy these at least once a year.
You can also make them up to a month ahead of time and freeze them in a cookie tin or a plastic container until you are ready to serve them. Just separate each layer with wax paper or parchment paper.
You could also substitute walnuts instead of pecans, but I think the pecans give a better flavor.
Russian Teacake Cookies
- 1 cup soft butter (let sit out on counter for 2-3 hours or overnight)
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar (aka. powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla until incorporated and crumbly with an electric mixer.
- Add in the flour and salt.
- Once all is incorporated, add in the chopped pecans and mix together well.
- Chill until dough is firm (about 1-2 hours).
- Roll into 1" balls.
- Bake at 350 degrees on an un-greased cookie sheet for 10 minutes. They should be firm to the touch and lightly browned.
- Let the cookies sit on the pan for five minutes and then roll each in a dish of confectioners sugar.
- Let cool and roll a second time to get the white snowball look.
- Roll in confectioners sugar immediately and then again when cool.
More Christmas Cookie Recipes