A recipe for mini fruit tarts using pastry shells, vanilla coconut filling, and topped with fresh summer fruits of blueberries and cherries. Serve this fruit recipe for breakfast or brunch.
These tarts are a nice bite size addition to a brunch menu or as something quick and easy to bring to the office. They will go over well with the children too. The filling is just a bit sweet to counter the tartness of the fruit.
This recipe has no dairy in it, and uses coconut milk instead, so it is a nice choice for someone who may be lactose intolerant or vegetarian. I found it at our local store in the ethnic food section. Other stores may carry canned coconut milk in the baking isle.
If you have concerns about the flavor from the coconut milk, it turned out very light, which I liked. The addition of vanilla extract in the filling balances out the flavors so coconut is not the only thing you taste.
I received a box of fresh Michigan blueberries from a wonderful client at work and we just came back from a day trip to Door County, Wisconsin with a quart of fresh tart Door County cherries. If you ever get a chance to go to Door County, it is a great trip.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Wanting to use as much of the fruit fresh before having to freeze it, I decided to try these yummy tarts with local in-season fruit. Be creative and use whatever fruits are in season in your area.
Mini Fruit Tarts
Mini Fruit Tarts
- 1- 1.9 oz. package frozen Mini Fillo Shells Quantity 15 shells
- you can also substitute mini puff pastry shells
- 1- 7 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh Fruit Ideas
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh tart pitted cherries You could also substitute diced apples, peaches, or mangoes. Whatever happens to be in season.
- Thaw the mini Fillo shells for 15-20 minutes, until room temperature.
- To make the filling, in a medium saucepan combine the coconut milk, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Whisk together until smooth. Over medium low heat cook the mixture; stirring constantly until thickened. Don't walk away, as it will thicken fairly quickly! Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let the filling cool completely.
- Pit the cherries and cut up other fruits as necessary.
- To assemble, place the Fillo shells on a serving platter and with a small spoon, place the cooled filling into each shell. Arrange your fruits on top. Serve and eat.
- Refrigerate the tarts if you will not be serving them within 1-2 hours.