This recipe for hot fruit compote has a delicious combination of pineapple, peaches, pears, cherries, and oranges. Served warm, this fruit recipe will complement your breakfast or brunch menu.
This quick and easy fruit compote is a tasty and innovative way to serve fruit at breakfast or brunch. Complement your quiche and breakfast casseroles with a blend of various fruits and orange sauce. All of the fruit flavors come together in the oven to make a beautiful and tasty sauce. Although I call this innovative, it is actually a very old recipe from my Grandmother’s recipe box. Everything seems to come back around, right?
Because this recipe calls for canned fruit, you can make this any time of year. Normally fruit is served cold, but sometimes that can take away from the true flavors of the fruit. By serving this warm, it brings out all those flavors, making the sauce a little bit more robust.
The addition of maraschino cherries breaks up the similar colors of the pineapple, peaches, and pears, plus almost everyone loves finding a cherry or two in their serving dish. It is just a nice added surprise. You could also substitute or add other fruits in here as well, such as apples for crunch or blueberries for additional color.
Get creative and serve the fruit compote in individual fruit bowls, ramekins, martini glasses, tulip glasses, or pudding cups. If you wish you can garnish each dish with a few mint leaves for added color.
Hot Fruit Compote Recipe
- 1-20 oz. can pineapple chunks
- 1-16 oz. can peach halves
- 1-16 oz. can pear halves
- 1-16 oz. jar maraschino cherries
- Orange Sauce
- ⅓ Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup light corn syrup
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain all fruits. Arrange in a 9" x 13" baking dish. Fill hollows with maraschino cherries. Set aside.
- To make the orange sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, corn syrup, orange juice and orange zest in a medium sauce pan.
- Heat the sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and pour sauce over fruit.
- Bake compote at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.