Mini Cranberry Apple Tarts for Brunch
These mini apple tarts are made with chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, jam, and dried cranberries and placed in a pre-made flaky pastry shell. They are fun bite sized treats to serve on a brunch buffet, as an appetizer, or for dessert. You might also try this recipe for mini-fruit tarts, which is similar and uses blueberries, cherries, and a coconut filling.
The Fillo dough shells are a light flaky pastry shell that you can fill with just about anything sweet or savory. They are versatile and have a light, delicate pastry crunch. You can find them in the freezer section at your grocery store next to the pie shells. One of the things that is nice about these Fillo shells is that they come fully baked. So, all you need to do is thaw them out and fill them with your favorite filling. They make this recipe quick and easy.
Jam in the filling help thicken the juice from the apples. You get a crisp snap from the chopped apples and soft chewiness from the dried cranberries. The chopped walnuts add a nice contrasting nuttiness.
These fruit tarts were a hit at our home, especially with my son. They are quick and easy to make and add nice color to your brunch menu. Figure at least 2 per person. The children will think these are a lovely snack.
Mini Apple Tarts With Cranberries
- 2 cups finely chopped apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup apricot jam (can use other berry flavors too)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 package Mini Fillo Shells (15 per package)
- Finely chop enough apples to equal 2 cups. Place in a medium saucepan.
- Add in brown sugar, cinnamon, jam, dried cranberries and flour. Stir to combine.
- Cook at a low to medium heat, stirring constantly until the brown sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil until the sauce is thickened.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the finely chopped walnuts if you decide to add them to the recipe.
- Fill each Fillo shell with the mixture, dividing equally.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.