An easy pretty in pink fruit salad recipe made with oranges, apples, bananas, pineapple, walnuts, and maraschino cherries. Serve this fruit salad for breakfast or as part of your weekend brunch menu.
This is an interesting fruit salad because the dressing is made from its own fruit juices and cooked until thickened. Few recipes have a cooked dressing using an egg.
One of the reasons I like this recipe is because of the colors and how nice it looks on the table with other foods. I call this my Petty in Pink fruit salad, as the dressing turns a lovely shade of pink from the maraschino cherries.
I love the fruit combination going on here; as these are some of my favorites all rolled into one salad. You get a little bit of tartness from the oranges, apples, and pineapple and that is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the cherries and bananas.
This complements a savory brunch such as a breakfast casserole or an omelet, along with the traditional breakfast fare such as sausage and toast.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Serve it in its own small dish for each person next to their plate. Because this is sweeter than most fruit salads, I would recommend limiting the number of other sweet items served at the same time. You can almost consider this dessert.
Of course, this will be a hit with most children too, as the fruits used are common and liked by children. Plus, it is sweet!
You can leave out the nuts if you wish. They do add a bit of crunch and flavor but are not absolutely necessary.
Pretty In Pink Fruit Salad
Pretty in Pink Fruit Salad
- 1 large 15 ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium apples diced
- 3 bananas sliced
- 1 large can crushed pineapple drained (save juice)
- 1 large jar maraschino cherries drained (save juice)
- 1/4 cup chopped nutmeats optional
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- juice from the pineapple and cherries
- Drain the mandarin oranges and discard the juice. Chop apples small and slice bananas. Drain the pineapple and maraschino cherries and save the juice. Combine all five fruits, including the nutmeats and mix together into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the egg, sugar, flour, and reserved pineapple and cherry fruit juices. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour over the fruit mixture and chill for 2 hours before serving.
More Fruit Salad Recipes
Colby Cheese Fruit Salad – A Taste of Wisconsin