A strawberry rhubarb dessert made with fresh garden rhubarb and strawberry gelatin. Serve this classic family favorite dessert for any summer celebration. Every time I make this recipe, my husband and son can’t wait for it to come out of the oven. You could just become the star baker in the house with this yummy dessert. Tangy rhubarb pairs so well with the sweet strawberry jello that you can smell it all over the house when it is baking.
It is a classic combination of flavors that tasted great many years ago and still tastes great today. I am not sure how old this rhubarb recipe is, but I remember making it back int the early 1980’s. It could be much older than that but I do know this is one that has withstood the test of time. This dessert is tasty all on its own, but my family loves to have a few scoops of vanilla ice cream with it. It is best if the rhubarb dessert is still slightly warm when you serve it.
Additional Notes for Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert:
Also, please note that you do need to use regular strawberry gelatin with sugar in it for this dessert recipe. Please do not substitute sugar-free gelatin. It will make a difference in the sweetness and consistency of the finished product. The pieces will cut better if you let it stand for 10-15 minutes after removing it from the oven. If you cut it too soon, you will have ragged pieces, so it is best to wait a bit. If you are planning on making this as a dish to pass, make sure to keep it chilled.
Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 heaping Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 Tablespoons butter or shortening
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk or more to make a tight dough.
- 6 cups fresh rhubarb cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2-3 ounce boxes strawberry gelatin DO NOT buy sugar-free
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, butter, eggs, and milk together with a pastry cutter to form a tight dough. Mix as for biscuits.
- Press dough evenly into glass baking dish.
- Cover with fresh cut rhubarb.
- Sprinkle 2 packages strawberry gelatin over the rhubarb.
- To make the topping: In a medium sized bowl, combine the sugar, butter, and flour and mix into a crumb mixture. Add a tablespoon more flour if necessary to make it crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the rhubarb and gelatin.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
More Old-Fashioned Dessert Recipes
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Old-Fashioned Dessert Recipes Cookbook