An easy bread pudding recipe made with cinnamon bread, cranberries, cherries, and raisins. This bread pudding has vanilla sauce in the recipe, making it rich and moist. You can also make your own vanilla sauce too.
The roots of bread pudding go back many centuries. It was a way to use up stale pieces of bread in an age where nothing went to waste. The basic versions included bread, milk, and sugar. Today, bread puddings have become a fairly common dessert and include a variety of dried fruits and flavorful sauces.
This particular recipe includes cranberries, cherries, and raisins and uses cinnamon bread instead of a traditional white bread. Grand Mariner liqueur in the pudding makes this just a bit special. The dried fruits provide a nice texture contrast to the soft sweetened pieces of bread. Vanilla sauce in the recipe gives it a smooth and silky sweetness that will keep you asking for another serving.
Bread pudding can be a stand alone dessert or served as part of a Christmas brunch menu. It is a heavier dessert, so serve this with a lighter menu otherwise everyone will get too full. Stay away from menus that contain a lot of starches and carbohydrates when you are going to serve this for dessert.
Serve this easy bread pudding recipe with additional vanilla sauce, a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of ground cinnamon.
Easy Bread Pudding Recipe
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup of prepared vanilla sauce
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier Liqueur
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 loaves cinnamon bread, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs and beat well with a whisk until light and lemon colored.
- Add milk, cream, vanilla sauce and Grand Marnier.
- Add lemon juice and zest, cranberries, cherries, and raisins. Add bread cubes-stir until well coated.
- Let stand 30 minutes to allow the milk mixture to be full absorbed.
- Pour all into a buttered 13" x 9" glass baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven covered with foil in a water bath for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes or until browned on top.