This glazed lemon bread is special because it uses the juice and zest of a whole lemon, making the lemon flavor shine through. It is made with butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, milk and chopped pecans (optional).
The lemon glaze is applied warm and soaks in to the bread to make this quick bread recipe absolutely lemony and delicious. Also try this lemon bread recipe for an afternoon snack or as a dessert bread.
If you are like me and go crazy for anything made with lemon, this is a good recipe to try.
Notes For Using Fresh Lemons
If you don’t have a fresh lemon available, you may substitute reconstituted lemon juice instead.
If your lemon is small or doesn’t produce 4 Tablespoons of lemon juice for this recipe you can either use a second lemon, reconstituted lemon juice, or a bit of water to make up the difference.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
The best way to get the most lemon juice from a lemon is to microwave it for about 30 seconds. This warms up the lemon enough to allow the most juice to be extracted. Use a lemon squeezer to remove the juice.
Use a lemon zester for an easy way to grate the lemon peel.
Breakfast and Brunch Serving Ideas:
Serve this lemon quick bread warm or cold for breakfast, brunch, or dessert with butter, honey, or just plain with nothing on top. Try cream cheese as a spread by flavoring cream cheese with lemon or orange juice for even more citrus flavor. Quick breads taste great with orange, berry or banana fruit smoothies.
Extra Lemony Glazed Lemon Bread Recipe
This recipe is from my mom’s recipe box collection with some modifications.
Extra Lemony Glazed Lemon Bread
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- grated lemon zest from one lemon
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice save the remainder for the glaze
- scant 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans optional
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Microwave a fresh lemon for 30 seconds to allow the most juice to be extracted. Use a lemon squeezer to extract the juice.
- Using a lemon zester, grate and finely chop the lemon zest from one lemon.
- Squeeze the juice from the same lemon with a lemon juicer into a small bowl. Measure out 2 Tablespoons and add to the butter, egg, and sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the lemon zest , flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the dry ingredients alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition. Add chopped pecans (optional). Stir just until mixed.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Place on wire cooling rack.
- In a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl, mix 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and 2/3 cup confectioners sugar and heat for 30 seconds to a minute until warm.
- After the bread cools for 10 minutes, prick top with fork and pour glaze over top.
- Let cool and remove from pan. Cool the glazed lemon bread completely and slice thin to serve.