A moist homemade apple bread recipe made with chopped apples, sugar, butter, and chopped walnuts. Serve for breakfast, brunch or dessert. A touch of sour cream and chunks of delicious fall apples makes this bread moist and delicious.
I will have to say that this certainly reminds me of fall and I personally like it warm with butter on top. Although it is great for breakfast or served at brunch, I think I just prefer it as a quick afternoon snack. It can also be served for a week night dessert.
This is made with chopped walnuts but you can also use chopped pecans for a nice flavor as well. Of course, you can leave out the nuts altogether if you prefer. Also try spreading this quick bread with butter or cream cheese spread for a quick snack.
Homemade Apple Bread Recipe
This recipe is from my grandmother’s recipe box collection.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and sour cream and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture, a small amount at a time, to the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in chopped apples and nuts, if desired. Batter will be thick.
- Pour into a greased baking pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until done.
You can also visually check if it is done by looking for a nice medium brown color and also checking that the bread has pulled away from the edges of the baking pan.