This buttermilk banana bread recipe is made from butter, sugar, eggs, and bananas. Fresh buttermilk in the batter makes a moist and delicious bread.
Having a few leftover bananas around seems to be a common occurrence in our household, so this is a recipe that frequently gets brought out as a way to use up those extra bananas.
The batter together quickly and forms a nice brown crust on the top when it has finished baking. The crust of the loaf itself adds to the flavor of the bread. The chopped walnuts are optional in the recipe, but do add extra flavor.
Serve this warm with butter or cream cheese spread for a nice breakfast or brunch treat. Banana nut bread tastes good for an afternoon snack the next time you have a craving for something sweet. You can also cut smaller pieces and serve this on a brunch buffet instead of muffins.
One note on this recipe: make sure to measure out the mashed banana and use what the recipe calls for. I know you might be tempted to add more in order to use everything up, but if you add too much mashed banana it will throw the recipe off. I did this once when I made it and I ended up with too much batter and overfilled the pan.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
The result was that the bread came out flat instead of having a nice rounded crown. It also failed to bake completely in the center. So, I encourage you to follow the ingredient measurements.
Buttermilk Banana Bread Recipe
Buttermilk Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 Cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 Cup fresh buttermilk
- 2-1/4 Cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 c. mashed bananas about 1-2 medium bananas
- 1/2 c. walnuts finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar; add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Slowly stir in the fresh buttermilk and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add in the wet ingredients from the first bowl to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.