Cheddar sausage muffins are a savory muffin made with shredded cheddar cheese and pork sausage. This unique muffin tastes great served warm for breakfast or brunch with eggs and fresh fruit. We also ate them with salad for dinner one night.
These are a hearty Southern treat that tastes just like home style cooking should and make a delicious breakfast all on their own. My son calls them “breakfast in a muffin” and liked them quite well.
Made with egg, butter, and milk these are full flavored muffins that may not fit in a diet plan, but turn out oh, so good! As an added note, for the cheese I would recommend using sharp cheddar cheese versus mild or medium. Once baked, the cheese flavor mellows so the sharper the cheese is; the more pronounced the flavor will be.
A note on using paper baking cups: The original recipe called for either using a greased muffin pan or using paper muffin cups. When I made this recipe to photograph it, I chose the paper muffin cups. We at them about 30 minutes later and found the paper very difficult to remove. It seemed to be because the shredded cheese stuck to the paper. So, my recommendation would be to NOT use paper baking cups for this recipe, but instead to grease the muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. I think they will come out better for you.
If you have any leftover pork sausage, you can use it up in a breakfast casserole or in an omelet. You could also reheat it and just serve it on toast for a quick breakfast. You might even consider making a double batch of these muffins.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
“These are a hit at my house!” – Norma M via FB
Cheddar Sausage Muffins
Cheddar Sausage Muffins
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces bulk pork sausage
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry the sausage in a frying pan until cooked. Cool slightly and drain off the excess fat. Set aside and let the sausage cool. You can also refrigerate it for a bit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg slightly. Using a whisk; mix together the egg, butter, and milk.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the cooled sausage and shredded cheese.
- Grease a standard size muffin pan that makes 12 muffins with non-stick cooking spray and fill each of them 2/3 full with the batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin pans.
Sweet and Savory Muffin Recipes
Chocolate Cinnamon Applesauce Muffin Recipe
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins With Yogurt For Brunch
Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins
Simple Bran Flake Muffins Recipe
2 thoughts on “Cheddar Sausage Muffins”
Do you think it is possible to make this in an 8×8 or 9×13 instead of muffins?
That isn’t something I have tried, but you could give it a go and see how it turns out. You may have to gauge by sight whether to use an 8×8 or 9×13 pan. Also, I would expect baking times would need to be watched and adjusted.
If you do try it I would love it if you would leave an update here. Thank you for your question!