This quick and easy chocolate muffin recipe stays moist because it is made with applesauce. A light sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg along with cocoa and raisins makes this a delicious muffin recipe.
They taste almost like cupcakes, but with a bit more spice and a crustier muffin top.
Who doesn’t like a bit of chocolate for breakfast? The children will think these are an especially fun treat!
Serve these chocolate muffins warm for breakfast or brunch with a pat of butter or a soft cream cheese spread.
You almost won’t know you are eating a muffin with the wonderful chocolate flavor in these treats. Add in some raisins for good measure and you can pass these off as dessert.
This is from my mom’s recipe box collection.
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup Hershey's Cocoa
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, blend butter and cocoa. Add applesauce and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients and egg to wet and blend just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Spoon into paper lined muffin cups filling each about half full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until muffin springs back when gently touched with finger.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.