An easy buttermilk bran muffins recipe made with All-Bran cereal and buttermilk. Buttermilk keeps these muffins moist. Serve these quick and easy muffins warm for breakfast or brunch.
Always a favorite, bran muffins are a staple for an everyday breakfast treat. These are kept moist with buttermilk in the recipe.
If you are looking for a healthy, high fiber bran muffin that still tastes great and is not dry and crumbly, try this recipe.
You may not have actually eaten All-Bran cereal in a long time on its own, but it does make for a tasty muffin. Once it is soaked in buttermilk, the cereal softens up and the buttermilk lends a great flavor.
Powdered buttermilk is usually found in the baking isle at your favorite grocery. I find it easier to use and store powdered buttermilk vs. fresh as it is not an ingredient I use frequently. It will keep in the refrigerator a long time.
Buttermilk Bran Muffins
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup powdered buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups All-Bran cereal
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease muffin tin with either cooking spray oil or butter and flour.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and buttermilk powder and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add all-bran cereal and water. Let stand 1-2 minutes until the cereal has softened.
- Add egg and vegetable oil and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients to your cereal mixture, stirring just until moistened. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin about ¾ full. Do not let batter sit.
- Bake right away for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown.
If you wish you can add ¾ cup of fresh raisins to the batter.