Try these easy pumpkin muffins for a Fall brunch or any time of year. They are made with canned pumpkin, cinnamon, sour cream, and milk and finished with a sugar topping. If you are hosting a fall brunch or Thanksgiving brunch, these muffins are a nice addition to your food menu.
They are lightly sweetened, but not too much so the full flavor of the pumpkin comes through. Serve them with a quiche or eggs along with a apple fruit salad for a simple meal.
I made these using both a regular sized muffin pan and also a mini-muffin pan and both turned out great. They have a wonderful flavor that is not too strong.
A word of caution: This does make a pretty large batch, which is fine for a brunch, but if there will only be a few eating them, I recommend cutting the recipe in half.
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- Sugar Topping
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir with a whisk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, sour cream, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, egg, and egg white with a whisk.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined and moist.
- Spray muffin pans with vegetable cooking spray (use the spray with flour if you have it). Spoon the batter ¾ full into 18 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and brown sugar, sprinkle evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center.
- Remove the muffins and place them on a wire rack immediately to cool.