This cheddar cheese bread is made with buttermilk baking mix, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese. This recipe is from my mom’s recipe collection. You can eat this bread either warm or at room temperature with softened butter.
When I made this quick bread, I was unsure of what to expect since most quick breads are on the sweet side. This turns out to be a savory bread and the taste resembles something like a cheddar sausage muffin or biscuit.
I do like the amount of color in the finished product. You can see the shredded cheese and bits of crumbled bacon throughout the loaf. I also thought there was a lot of good flavor in this bread and I think it would be a nice complement to a quiche, egg dish, or breakfast casserole.
In case you are wondering about the buttermilk baking mix listed, two you can look for are Hodgson Mill or Pioneer. What you want a biscuit or pancake baking mix with buttermilk in it. I know there are many others as well as specific brands may differ in your area.
Also, a small bowl of fresh fruit, such as oranges, watermelon, or apples along with a slice of this bread would make a quick and easy filling breakfast.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
You can make this recipe the night before and enjoy a relaxing weekend brunch with your friends and family.
This is one of my favorite recipes because it is a savory bread instead of a sweet bread and earns a spot on a brunch menu for its color, texture, and taste.
Cheddar Cheese Bread with Bacon
Cheddar Cheese Bread
- 3-1/2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 slices bacon (fried, cooled, and crumbled)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 6 ounces
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry bacon in a pan until crisp. Allow the bacon to cool until you can handle it. Crumble into small pieces or cut with a kitchen shears and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the baking mix and sugar.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg.
- Stir the wet milk and egg mixture into dry ingredients, mixing just until blended.
- Spoon into a buttered 9" x 5" x 3" inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to finish cooling.