A favorite banana bread recipe from my grandmother made with ripe bananas, butter, sugar, eggs, and nuts.
Serve this quick bread with butter or cream cheese spread for breakfast, brunch, a mid-day snack, or dessert.
This banana bread recipe has a light, delicate crumb and has quite a bit of banana flavor because you use 3 large bananas in the recipe.
The chopped nuts are optional, but do add a nice amount of flavor to the bread.
This quick bread tastes good either warmed up or served cold. It is a family favorite in our house and this recipe gets made around our house quite frequently.
Fresh dairy butter makes a great spread or just eat it plain. This recipe for cream cheese spread makes a tasty topping as well. Fresh fruit also serves as a nice complement to a quick bread for a brunch menu.
This recipe is from my grandma’s recipe box collection.
**To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf 5 minutes before baking time is over. When the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done. You can also visually check if the bread is done by looking for a nice medium brown color and also checking that the bread has pulled away from the edges of the baking pan.
Grandma’s Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter (at room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 3 large extra ripe bananas)
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream the sugar, butter,salt until smooth.
- Add eggs, and stir to incorporate.
- Dissolve the baking soda into the 3 tablespoons boiling water. Add to the wet mixture and mix well.
- Stir the banana mash into the wet mixture and mix well.
- Add flour and nuts. Mix well.
- Place in greased baking pan and bake for 1 hour.