Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are made with red potatoes, roasted garlic, milk, and cream. Serve this favorite comfort food for a family gathering or evening meal. It is shown here with another of my favorite dishes; easy cheesy meatloaf.
These mashed potatoes are special because you use roasted garlic in the recipe. Combine that with the satisfying creaminess of mashed potatoes and you have a winning combination. If you crave comfort food, these potatoes won’t disappoint you! The heady aroma of roasted garlic fills the house and makes you want to eat them just standing by the kitchen counter. 🙂
Because you remove about half of the potato skins, you have small bits of the red potato skin mixed throughout. It gives the dish a bit of extra color and texture.
*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting the work I put into this site!
The key to making good mashed potatoes is having enough milk or cream mixed in with the potatoes along with a heavy duty potato masher. You need to mash the potatoes longer than you might think to get them fluffy and creamy.
Serve these mashed potatoes with meatloaf, turkey, or ham for a comforting weekend meal or holiday occasion. Of course, you can just eat them standing by the kitchen counter too. 🙂
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX
Are you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works.
Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points.
No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app.
Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX
You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup cream
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup roasted garlic cloves (purchase 2 large heads of raw garlic)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the roasted garlic:
- To prepare the roasted garlic cut the top off of each head so the cloves are partially exposed. Loosely wrap each head of garlic in aluminum foil making sure it is sealed and place both on a baking sheet. Bake the garlic for 45 minutes. Garlic should be soft and mushy. Unwrap and let cool enough until you can handle the garlic. Scoop out each of the garlic cloves with a small knife. A condiment knife or seafood fork works well to remove the garlic. Discard any skins. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the potatoes:
- Wash and rinse the potatoes with cold water. Using a vegetable peeler, remove about 50% of the skin from the potatoes using small short strokes.
- Place the potatoes in a kettle of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove and drain the water from the potatoes.
- In a large kettle combine the potatoes, roasted garlic cloves, milk, cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Mash well with a potato masher. Add more cream if potatoes seem lumpy or dry.
- Place in an oven safe serving bowl and keep warm until ready to serve.
More Main Dish Potato Recipes
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Southern Style Cheesy Potatoes
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie Recipe
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham And Peas
Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
Browned Butter Potatoes
Triple Cheese Potato Casserole
Fried Potatoes Recipe with Ham and Green Onions
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole with Ham and Peas
Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole