Southern style cheesy potatoes are a favorite for any meal. This easy potato casserole is made with hash browns, sour cream, cheddar cheese and topped with crushed cornflakes. Serve them for dinner with ham, beef, or pork or as part of a hearty breakfast or brunch.
This is a very popular potato recipe in our family and anytime anyone brings a dish to pass, this one is always requested.
There have even been occasions where we have needed to make two pans because everyone likes these potatoes so much.
This makes a nice side dish when served with ham steaks for brunch, pork steaks or hamburgers. It is a versatile recipe and definitely qualifies as comfort food.
“I make these all the time. I add bacon bits, or I switch up the cream soup. Sometimes I put bread crumbs on top” – Sherri via FB
Southern Style Cheesy Potatoes
Southern Style Cheesy Potatoes
- 1 9" x 13" glass baking dish
- 2 pounds (32 ounce bag) Ore Ida Diced Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mild onion
- 1 pint (16 ounces) Daisy dairy sour cream
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes (4 cups flakes crushed to yield 2 cups crushed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with butter or non-stick vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
- Finely chop 1/2 cup onion. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thawed hash browns, onion, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup melted butter, salt, pepper, and soup.
- Mix together until well incorporated.
- Spoon into your greased baking dish and press the mixture flat into the corners.
- In a small paper lunch bag place 4 cups of corn flakes. Crush with the palm of your hand until evenly crushed to about half the quantity.
- In a small bowl combine the crushed cornflakes and 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Sprinkle the cornflake mixture evenly over the top of the potato casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Serves 6-8.
More Potato Side Dish Recipes
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham And Peas
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Triple Cheese Potato Casserole
Fried Potatoes Recipe with Ham and Green Onions
Browned Butter Potatoes
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie Recipe
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole with Ham and Peas