An easy Italian pasta skillet dinner with Cavatappi pasta, Italian sausage, whipping cream, and parmesan cheese.
This is a favorite easy to make dinner in our house and a nice change from traditional casseroles. What makes this recipe especially tasty is the addition of whipping cream. There is something about the combination of the pork, tomatoes, and whipping cream that is really good.
Mushrooms are optional but we feel it adds a dimension of flavor and texture to the dish.
One of my newer discoveries is Cavatappi pasta. The large corkscrews are great for holding sauce. This pasta also works well for macaroni and cheese.
This recipe makes quite a bit as it serves at least 6, but you can cut the recipe in half if you need.
Easy Italian Pasta Skillet Recipe
Easy Italian Pasta Skillet
- 1 large pot for boiling pasta
- 1 large deep walled skillet with 3" sides
- 16 ounces Cavatappi pasta (medium shells or bowtie pasta can be substituted)
- 1 pound mild Italian ground pork sausage
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cook the Cavatappi pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large, deep walled skillet, cook the Italian pork sausage until browned over medium heat. Drain any excess fat and place the pork back in the skillet.
- Add the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, whipping cream, and all seasonings and stir gently. Add in the cooked pasta and stir again. Adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Cook over low to medium heat until heated thoroughly.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with grated fresh Parmesan cheese at the table.