This hamburger rice skillet is an easy one pan meal with hamburger, rice, and tomatoes. Serve for a weeknight dinner.
I love this recipe because it is one that does not involve noodles. I love pasta, but sometimes you just need to have something different for dinner. This is a recipe I use as one of my go-to evening meal ideas when I am busy during the day and not quite sure what to make.
When those times occur, I usually have thawed a pound of beef ahead of time. I just always figure that if I have the meat ready to go, some dinner idea will come to me and it always does.
For our family this recipe works well as it uses ingredients we normally have in the pantry, like the cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Sometimes I leave the green pepper out of the recipe if I don’t have any available.
Also, if you are short on time and don’t wish to cut up an onion, you can substitute onion flakes instead. Serves about 4 people.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
I like to have cottage cheese or fresh fruit on the side.
Hamburger Rice Skillet Recipe
Hamburger Rice Skillet
- 1 deep skillet with lid
- 1 Tablespoon Butter for frying
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup medium grain long cooking rice
- 1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt. Brown the ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is browned. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat. Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese. Place lid back on for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.