A hearty shepherds pie recipe made with ground beef, corn, potatoes, onions and cheese. This is an easy main dish dinner idea or serve it for a hearty breakfast.
Shepherds pie, also known as “poor mans pie”, is a simple vegetable and beef meat pie recipe. It is made with ingredients you normally have around the house including ground beef, corn, potatoes, onions and cheese.
This is intended to be a recipe made when you have leftover mashed potatoes and beef from a prior meal. Then this would go together pretty quickly. Because that may not be the case for for you, the time for the recipe below includes cooking the raw potatoes, mashing them, and also browning the beef.
Although the recipes calls for canned corn and peas, you could also use thawed frozen vegetables in their place. Even better, use your fresh garden produce if it is available. If you do, be sure to have the peas and corn already cooked.
In order to get the nice golden crust, you sprinkle shredded cheese over the mashed potatoes and then place it for a few minutes under the broiler.
Something that might seem a bit odd in this recipe is the granulated sugar. You can cut the quantity down if you wish, but I thought it brought the flavors together and it did not taste sweet like you might think.
A nice complement to this main dish would be fresh fruit or a fruit dessert.
*Sometimes it is also spelled sheperds pie.
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can peas, drained
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ⅓ c. granulated sugar
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Boil potatoes, mash and season to taste with milk and butter. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, brown the ground beef and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the beef is browned, add peas, corn, and the sugar into the frying pan. Let simmer until heated through. Turn off the heat and spoon out any excess liquid.
- In a 13" x 9" glass casserole dish spoon the meat and vegetable mixture in bottom of pan.
- Cover with mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Place in oven on broil setting about 3-5" away from heat source on top rack. Leave oven door slightly open while broiling. Broil 5-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly or light brown. Watch carefully so as not to burn the cheese.
More Main Dish Dinner Ideas
Family Style Homemade Pizza
Homemade Chili Recipe With Kidney Beans
Homemade Fish Tacos
Six Layer Grilled Chicken Burritos
Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham And Peas
Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Make At Home Southern Fried Chicken
Cheddar Cheese Meatloaf
Easy Hamburger Casserole with beef and beans