Oatmeal buttermilk pancakes are made with buttermilk, whole wheat flour, and quick cooking oatmeal to keep them moist. This is a very old recipe that originally used to call for lard and regular cooking oatmeal, but I have updated it using butter and quick cooking oatmeal.
Pancakes made with oatmeal, wheat flour, and buttermilk are umm…not exactly light and fluffy. Instead, these pancakes are heavy, hearty, and dense. Think of a lumberjack breakfast. They are tasty and I encourage you to give them a try, but just know this is the land of a stick to your ribs-go out and cut wood for the day-kind of pancake. I did like the flavor and taste, but a single average sized pancake was all I could eat.
Serve these pancakes with maple syrup, applesauce, whipped cream, or jam for breakfast or brunch. You can also try them with cinnamon flavored applesauce or a spiced apple butter (which is a personal favorite of mine).
Buttermilk makes this recipe moist and delicious. Wheat flour and oatmeal adds nutrition to get your day started right.
Calling All Pancake Lovers!
Are you crazy for pancakes or know someone who is? Check out these awesome pancake shirts on Etsy and show your love of pancakes. On Etsy you can find so much more than just crafts. Check it out.
Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1-1/3 cups quick cooking oatmeal*
- 1 pint buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon soda (heaping)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- In a medium mixing bowl, soak the quick cooking oatmeal and buttermilk until the oatmeal is soft, at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, sift together the salt, wheat flour, and soda.
- Mix the buttermilk and oatmeal mush into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the slightly beaten egg and melted butter.
- Fry these pancakes on an ungreased griddle or in a frying pan until golden brown.
- *If you are using regular long cooking oatmeal, soak the oatmeal and buttermilk overnight or for at least 2 hours in the morning before mixing in the rest of the ingredients.
More Pancake Recipes