A recipe for homemade buttermilk pancakes that is made with fresh buttermilk, butter, and eggs. Serve this pancake recipe for breakfast or as part of your Sunday brunch menu. Made with fresh buttermilk and fried golden brown, these pancakes turn out deliciously light, tender, and fluffy.
This homemade pancake recipe has been perfected and made for breakfast and brunch by my mom almost every Sunday for the last 30 years.
Don’t settle for a plain old packaged mix when you can make your own tender and delicious homemade pancakes from scratch this easily. Top these flap jacks with maple syrup, flavored jams, blueberry syrup or apple cinnamon syrup for a memorable brunch menu that will have your friends and family asking for more.
Calling All Pancake Lovers!
Are you crazy for pancakes or know someone who is? Check out these awesome pancake shirts on Etsy and show your love of pancakes. On Etsy you can find so much more than just crafts. Check it out.
Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
This recipe is from my mom’s recipe box collection.
- 2 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 to 1-2/3 cups buttermilk
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter or Crisco Oil
- 3 eggs
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients.
- Stir with a wire whisk to mix, just until ingredients are blended, scraping sides and bottom of bowl to get everything incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix. Batter will be thick.
- Let batter sit in bowl for 1 hour to rise.
- Do not stir batter at all during this time.
- Do not stir the batter when you are frying the cakes.
- Just use a large ladle to scoop out batter. Fry on a hot griddle or frying pan.
If you like a thinner cake, you may add a little more buttermilk when you initially mix the batter, before you let it rise, rather than stirring the batter later.
More Pancake Recipes