Corn cheese spaghetti casserole is an easy main dish casserole made with spaghetti, corn, cheddar cheese and bacon. This is a hearty comfort food the entire family will like.
One of the best things about some of my favorite comfort foods is the choices available and they include so much more than only sweets and desserts. There is a wide range of satisfying foods that can also become your family evening dinner at the same time, like this spaghetti casserole.
This particular recipe comes from my mother-in-law and she was gracious enough to share it with me. I remember first having this at her house some twenty years ago and thought it was an excellent way to use up what you have in the refrigerator.
Use Up The Leftovers
One of the things to note about this recipe is that I believe originally it was more of a casserole in which you needed to find something to make for dinner and you just used what you had available. So, if you happen to have leftover corn, spaghetti, and cooked bacon around, this will go together pretty quickly. If on the other hand you have to make this from scratch, including cooking the bacon, the prep time will be much longer.
In my recipe below, I have listed the prep time as if you would need to prepare everything from scratch, including cooking the spaghetti and frying the bacon.
Oh yes, did I mention this casserole has BACON in it??? It is just my opinion, but everything is better with BACON in it! Yum! The bacon in here is what gives this dish its flavor, so no skimping on the bacon. This is one time that you will want to fry the bacon crisp; probably more crisp than you would for just eating on the side.
Corn Cheese Spaghetti Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound spaghetti (16 ounce box)
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, cook entire package of bacon until crispy and drain on a double layer of paper towel. When cool to the touch; take a scissors and snip pieces to crumble the bacon. Set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the spaghetti according to package directions and drain. Place the spaghetti back in the same kettle you cooked it in.
- Add in the thawed and drained corn.
- Add in the tomato juice and bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grate the cheese and place in a separate bowl. Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons flour on the cheese and use a fork to coat the cheese evenly.
- Add the cheese and extra flour to the casserole. Stir everything together and transfer all to a oven safe casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until heated through.
More Main Dish Favorites